Current:Home > FinancePrincess Diana’s Brother Charles Spencer Responds to Kate Middleton's Cancer News -VisionFunds
Princess Diana’s Brother Charles Spencer Responds to Kate Middleton's Cancer News
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 12:15:28
The brother of the late Princess Diana has expressed his support for Kate Middleton amid her cancer battle.
One day after the Princess of Wales revealed in a video released by Kensington Palace that she had been diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing treatment, Charles Spencer, her husband Prince William's uncle, praised her on social media.
Alongside a screenshot of Kate in the clip, the ninth Earl Spencer, wrote on Instagram, "Incredible poise and strength."
In recording the video, Diana's daughter-in-law had broken her silence about her health journey amid weeks of public speculation online and in the media about her well-being. The rumors began after Kensington Palace announced in January that Kate had undergone abdominal surgery and would be taking a break from her royal duties.
In the video, which BBC Studios filmed at Windsor March 20, Kate revealed that she was diagnosed with cancer after undergoing the operation, which she described as "major."
"At the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous," she added. "The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present. My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
Kate, who shares kids Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5, with William, added, "This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family." The screenshot of her video that Charles posted included a caption of part of her statement that read, "to process and manage this privately."
The 59-year-old had recently compared the media scrutiny of Kate to that of his late sister—mother of both William and Prince Harry—prior to her death.
When asked about his thoughts on the recent rumors about Kate, Charles told BBC's Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg, in an interview released March 17, "I do worry about what happened to the truth."
Diana, ex-wife of King Charles III and one of the most beloved philanthropists in the world, died in 1997 at age 36 in a car crash in Paris after being pursued on the road by paparazzi. William and Harry, then 15 and 12 years old respectively, were not with her at the time of the accident.
"I think it was more dangerous back in the day," Charles said about the media scrutiny of his sister. "If I look back to '97 and Diana's death, I think that was so shocking, the circumstance of her death was so shocking, that it did make the industry that supports the paparazzi really consider more carefully what it could and couldn't do. Not because they had a moral judgment, but because it was unacceptable to the public."
Charles is not the only one of Kate and William's family members to publicly share their well-wishes for the princess following her announcement of her cancer diagnosis. Her brother, James Middleton, The King and wife Queen Camilla and Harry and wife Meghan Markle have all expressed their support, as have a slew of celebrities and world leaders. Read their messages below:
The Beverly Hills, 90210 alum, who has herself been battling cancer for years, wrote on Instagram, "I admire your strength thru the endless onslught you've been under while going through cancer."
On March 22, 2024, Kensington Palace released a video of Kate Middleton revealing that she is undergoing treatment for cancer, which was discovered after she had abdominal surgery in January.
"Wales and the World is with you HRH Princess of Wales," Zeta-Jones, who was born in Wales and was made a Commander of the British Empire (CBE) by now-King Charles III in 2011, wrote on Instagram. "Love to you always."
The Newsroom alum, who revealed March 13 she has been battling breast cancer, commented on Kensington Palace's Instagram video of Kate, "Thank you for showing what it's like to fight with grace and determination for yourself and your family. Wishing you all the best."
"We are praying for your full & complete recovery & for strength of mind, body & spirit for you & your entire family," the Rizzoli & Isles alum commented on Kensington Palace's video of Kate. "Thank you for your beautiful spirit & courage."
The media personality, fiancée of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, commented on the post as well, writing, "Sending love."
"My thoughts are with the Princess of Wales, Prince of Wales, the Royal Family and in particular her three children at this difficult time," he said in a statement on X. "The Princess of Wales has the love and support of the whole country as she continues her recovery. She has shown tremendous bravery with her statement today."
He added, "I know I speak for the whole country in wishing her a full and speedy recovery and look forward to seeing her back in action when she's ready."
Speaking at a press briefing following news of Kate's health battle, she said their thoughts are with the princess "and her family members and friends during this incredibly difficult time," adding, "certainly we wish her a full recovery."
"Over the years, we have climbed many mountains together," Kate's brother wrote on Instagram, alongside a childhood pic of the two, after she revealed her health diagnosis. "As a family, we will climb this one with you too."
The ninth Earl Spencer, brother of the late Princess Diana and Prince William and Prince Harry's uncle, wrote on Instagram, "Incredible poise and strength."
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who stepped back as senior royals in 2020 and live in California, said in a statement to NBC News, "We wish health and healing for Kate and the family and hope they are able to do so privately and in peace."
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said the King, who shared his own cancer diagnosis in February, is "so proud of Catherine for her courage in speaking as she did."
In fact, Charles has "remained in the closest contact with his beloved daughter-in-law throughout the past weeks," the rep told NBC News, adding that both he and Camilla "will continue to offer their love and support to the whole family through this difficult time."
"You are brave," President Joe Biden's wife wrote on X, "and we love you."
"On behalf of Canadians, I’m sending my support as she undergoes treatment," he wrote on X. "We’re all wishing her a swift recovery."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (375)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- North Dakota Gov. Burgum calls special session to fix budget bill struck down by court
- 21 Dog Walking Products to Make Your Daily Strolls Less Ruff
- How China’s Belt and Road Initiative is changing after a decade of big projects and big debts
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- National Pasta Day 2023: The best deals at Olive Garden, Carrabba's, Fazoli's, more
- 'Love is Blind' Season 5 reunion spoilers: Who's together, who tried again after the pods
- Wisconsin Assembly set to approve $545 million in public dollars for Brewers stadium repairs
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Clashes again erupt on the Lebanon-Israel border after an anti-tank missile is fired from Lebanon
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Martin Scorsese is still curious — and still awed by the possibilities of cinema
- Martin Scorsese is still curious — and still awed by the possibilities of cinema
- Colombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Montana judge keeps in place a ban on enforcement of law restricting drag shows, drag reading events
- Israeli video compilation shows the savagery and ease of Hamas’ attack
- Jail staffer warned Cavalcante was ‘planning an escape’ a month before busting out
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Rolls-Royce is cutting up to 2,500 jobs in an overhaul of the UK jet engine maker
Federal judge imposes limited gag order on Trump in 2020 election interference case
UN Security Council meets to vote on rival Russian and Brazilian resolutions on Israel-Hamas war
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Suzanne Somers, star of 'Three's Company' and 'Step by Step,' dead at 76
Here are the key leaders joining the Belt and Road forum and their wish lists to Beijing
Blinken calls for protecting civilians as Israel prepares an expected assault on Gaza